To: Seaint
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 8:57 PM
Subject: Passive soil pressure in granular soils

I am working on a project in the Spokane, WA area.  The soils report indicates the material at the base of the footing is silty gravel with sand, medium to coarse grained, N=25, ASTM D2487=GM, no water.  I need to do some preliminary design on the footing this weekend.  What would be a conservative value to use for passive pressure coefficient (Kp) and for  soil-to-concrete friction?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Structural Engineering Services, P.A.

Clint Strain, P.E.

1017 S. Tennessee

Chanute, KS  66720

Tel:  (620) 431-7699

Fax:  (620) 431-3217

E-mail:  cstrain(--nospam--at)amacominc.com