Re: Bracing for Nail-Plate Wood Trusses

Chris,
I am going to use these Florida regs to modify my job
specifications. One of the problems we have here is
that houses and small buildings under 600 sq m (abt
6400 sf) and 3 stories or less do not require an
engineer or architect(the building code has a whole
section devoted t prescriptive rules for these) unless
they are places of assembly.  So
the truss manufacturers design to TPIC rules which
means lighter loadings.  I had to be involved due to
unusual consruction or loading conditions.  I have been
specifying heavier loadings than TPIC as I think theirs
are too low.  I have won a couple of these where the
owner wasn't interested in just saving a few dollars.
When the building exceeds those sizes, then the
engineer has the final word.