From: Chris Roper [mailto:christophermroper(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 10:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: UBC 1633.2.4

The wall is being designed to resist flexure due to out-of-plane Fp
loads as
though it were pinned top and bottom, and this makes sense.  It also
makes
sense that the wall is able to resist P-Delta effects when to top of the

wall moves in/out along with the diaphragm as it deflects (in this case
from
the walls perspective it is pinned at the bottom and has a horizontal
roller
or more appropriately a spring at the top which allows the diaphragm
deflection.)  What isn't clear is whether these two effects need to be
COMBINED at the same time.  If out-of-plane loads are to be combined
with
the P-Delta case (at delta m level), it seems to me they should be at a
"base shear" load level rather than the "element" or Fp level since the
delta m diaphragm deflection that we're talking about originates with
delta
s which is based on "base shear" loads.  Using delta m deflection plus
Fp
out-of-plane loads seems to be conservatively adding apples to oranges.
The
code and examples are not clear on the issue.

>From: Michael Bryson <MBryson(--nospam--at)mhpse.com>
>To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: RE: UBC 1633.2.4
>Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 09:01:25 -0800
>
>Yes you have to, but if the wall is essentially pinned at both ends
then
>there are negligible forces generated in the wall when the roof
deflection
>is perpendicular to the wall, yes?

Design