RE: drilled pier foundation

Andrew,

	If the upper soils do not have sufficient strength or if the PI is too high
for a shallow foundation system and there is no bedrock, these types of
piers are typically used.  It is also common to support veneer (cmu or
brick) on continuous footings with pier support.  This is standard in high
PI areas to prevent the clays from moving the grade beams and cracking the
veneer.  If you look again at the foundation detials, you will probably see
the footings are detailed with voids below them.  A site specific
geotechnical report is highly recommended.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.