From: Jake Watson [mailto:jwatson(--nospam--at)utahisp.com]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 7:25 AM
To: Structural Engineering Association International
Subject: Parking Garage Loading - IBC/UBC

We are working on a precast parking garage in northern California.  The '97
UBC requires a 50 PSF live load.  This can be reduced to 30 PSF for the
columns and even the double-tees we are using.  The IBC (read ASCE 7-98)
doesn't allow the reduction for the double-tees and the columns will be
designed for 40 PSF.  We are debating which direction to advise to owner to
go.  I am not aware of any parking garage failures but don't want the
building to be "under-designed" in 5 years when California does change codes
to something other than the UBC.  This is a eight story garage and the
impacts will be huge based on the decision.  Like usual it is a fast track
job, and we need foundations in two weeks.  Opinions greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Jake Watson, P.E.

Salt Lake City, UT