Parking Garage Loading - IBC/UBC

Jake,

Strange that you should mention this.

I received my latest issue of Concrete International yesterday
and there was a letter from the author of the original article
indicating what he considered in coming up with the
recommendations that finally made it into ASCE 7/IBC.  It appears
that this all evolved from the failure that occurred when a
delivery truck tried to go up a ramp to the top level of a
parking structure.  His recommendations *did not* apply to
parking structures devoted to private passenger vehicles
(including SUV's and pickups).

There was a discussion on the list about a year ago about the
(reducible) 50 psf LL (or 2,000 # concentrated load) for private
parking structures.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jake Watson wrote:

. > We are working on a precast parking garage in northern California.  The
. > '97 UBC requires a 50 PSF live load.  This can be reduced to 30 PSF for
. > the columns and even the double-tees we are using.  The IBC (read ASCE
. > 7-98) doesn't allow the reduction for the double-tees and the columns
. > will be designed for 40 PSF.  We are debating which direction to advise
. > to owner to go.  I am not aware of any parking garage failures but don't
. > want the building to be "under-designed" in 5 years when California does
. > change codes to something other than the UBC. This is a eight story
. > garage and the impacts will be huge based on the decision. Like usual it
. > is a fast track job, and we need foundations in two weeks.  Opinions
. > greatly appreciated.