From: Jake Watson [mailto:jwatson(--nospam--at)utahisp.com]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 9:03
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Parking Garage Loading - IBC/UBC

After speaking with someone who does parking garages for a living, here is a summary of loading requirements.  It appears that ASCE 7-98 is the odd duck.

Code           DT LL        LB LL        Col LL        (DT= Double-tees, LB = edge spandrels)
ASCE 7-02   40 PSF     40 PSF      32 PSF
ASCE 7-98   50 PSF     50 PSF      40 PSF
2000 IBC     37 PSF     30 PSF      20 PSF
1997 UBC   37 PSF     30 PSF      30 PSF

Does anyone have a copy of the '03 IBC that they can check for me?  Is the LL reduction section still the same as the '00 IBC?

The difference appears to be only in the ASCE documents, but they are not as far off as I thought at first.  What is still interesting is the variability in column loading.  I thought this stuff was based on statistics, not opinions?!?!

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT