AISC Certification question

Hi all,

We're receiving resistance from bidders regarding our requirement that steel fabricators must be qualified as an AISC-Certified Plant, Category 1 through the AISC Quality Certification Program.  It seems that most steel fabricators being considered by the bidding G.C.'s don't have this certification.  This project is a two-story steel frame commercial building with exposed steel as a significant part of the building architecture.  We are maintaining this requirement as we feel the need to ensure minimum standards of quality on this project.  We are curious, however, about the economic impact, if any, to the owner in increased fabrication costs for using a certified fabricator as well as other engineers' opinions on when, if not always, to require this certification.  Also, is it typical that most shops don't carry this certification?

Dennis Pradere
MLA Engineering
Seattle