RE: AISC Certification question

I am in Springfield, MO and we do alot of work in southern Missouri and beyond.  We find that most steel fab shops are not AISC Certified.  We usually ask for references from similar scope projects to verify their ability to perform on the projects we are working on.  Not the best method, but sometimes we'd be eliminating all bidders (including some we know do good work).
-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Pradere [mailto:dpradere(--nospam--at)mlaengineering.com]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 11:57 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: Mike Leonard
Subject: AISC Certification question

Hi all,

We're receiving resistance from bidders regarding our requirement that steel fabricators must be qualified as an AISC-Certified Plant, Category 1 through the AISC Quality Certification Program.  It seems that most steel fabricators being considered by the bidding G.C.'s don't have this certification.  This project is a two-story steel frame commercial building with exposed steel as a significant part of the building architecture.  We are maintaining this requirement as we feel the need to ensure minimum standards of quality on this project.  We are curious, however, about the economic impact, if any, to the owner in increased fabrication costs for using a certified fabricator as well as other engineers' opinions on when, if not always, to require this certification.  Also, is it typical that most shops don't carry this certification?

Dennis Pradere
MLA Engineering
Seattle