Bracing for Nail-Plate Wood Trusses

Mike,

I was referring primarily to gaps between truss members.  The tolerances are
defined in TPI's Quality Control publications.

Interior joint tolerances (e.g. gap between web member and horizontal chord):

Maximum:  1/4"
Average:  1/8"

Splice joint tolerances (e.g. gap in chord splices):

Maximum:  1/8" tension; 1/16" compression
Average:  1/16" tension; 1/32" compression

Exterior joint tolerances (e.g., truss peak, heel-to-sloping chord, end
diagonal-to-horizontal top chord):

Maximum:  1/8"
Average:  1/16"

Gap between plate and wood:

   10% of tooth length, or 1/16", whichever is greater, for no more than 1/3
minimum required contact area.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael Hemstad wrote:

. > Roger Turk wrote:

. > "If an engineer went out to a job site with only a gap
. > gauge, I would bet that
. > he/she could reject 50% of the plated wood trusses
. > that are on site."

. > OK, Roger, I'll bite:
. > I assume you're talking about gaps between the toothed
. > plates and the 2x's.  Do you spec a permissible gap,
. > or is it in an industry standard?  And what is the
. > value?