Re: railing loadings

	Greetings,
	"Design advisory: Guard heavy and watch the connections and
supporting members. Steel is cheap." - Paul Ransom
	Yes. We are asked to provide sleeves in precast stairs for handrail
to be placed later that are so close to the edge of the concrete that there
is not room to place any steel to confine the sleeve when the rail does
break the concrete. Usually when we bring this up the architect answers that
that there is not enough width of stair left to move the rail in. We have
designed conservatively, and maybe the turn of the rail at the landings is
what really provides the strength.
	Help your architect to design egress paths that are wide enough for
people and the required railings.
	Jim Getaz
	Winchester, Virginia