Sent: Monday, April 07, 2003 10:26 AM
Subject: RE: AISC Certification question

Whenever possible we try and stick to our guns regarding certification.  We have not had good luck with the fabricators that are not certified.  My experience (rather limited admittedly) has been very poor with non-approved shops.  There absolutely is a cost for being AISC certified, how much I really don't know.  However, projects where you are requesting the certification to begin with are likely large enough to warrant the added procedures to insure a good product.

Secondly, as someone has already said, there is a special inspection cost that needs to be researched.  At the least, the fabricator should be forced to build in the special inspection costs into his bid.

If you want to determine how many shops in your area are certified, I believe ASK has a list of approved shop on their website.  It might be worth your time to see how many in your area are certified.  You could then give your G.C. some leads on AISC shops.

HTH,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT