'97 UBC vs. 2000 IBC

I am looking at IBC & UBC to see which code I would prefer to use for a building design in Las Vegas.  (From what I have been told, we can use either... I don't know why... maybe the city is in the process of adopting the IBC.)

I have checked the seismic design forces and what I got is that the '97 UBC seismic forces are higher than the 2000 IBC.  Does that seem logical?  UBC zone is 2B and for IBC, Ss = 0.615 and S1 = 0.182.  Beyond calculating the seismic forces, it seems that the two codes are similar in their application to the design of the structural elements.  Am I missing anything?

Any guidance you can give would be appreciated!

Bruce D. Holcomb, PE
Butler, Rosenbury & Partners
300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505
Springfield, MO 65806-2217