Re: Finger-tight bolts vs Snug-tight bolts

Michael,

Assuming you are trying to create a sliding connection, I would recommend that you specify a 1/16 inch gap and then use two nuts.  The second one could be called out as a jamb nut that is about 1/2 the thickness of a standard nut.  The reason I like the double nuts is that it is easy to see from the ground when conducting your structural observation.  I have never really liked staking the threads as there are no standards for this.  If you happen to be using twist off bolts you will need to specify standard A325 bolts for these special connections.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Michael Bryson <MBryson(--nospam--at)mhpse.com>

04/11/2003 11:49 AM
Please respond to seaint