Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Residential URM

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: Message
Dennis,  I hope that all is well, it has been some time since we talked. 
I do not know the specific answer to your question.  But this is what I understand and where I would start looking for an answer:
The CBC is actually not a statute (law) but is a regulation enabled by language contained in the State's Health and Safety Code sec. 18910.  Start with the H&S code and look around in there for the legislation about URMs,  that is likely where it is at.  Then from there regulations adopted to implement the statute should be published in title 24 of CCR's (if any.)  There may not be anything written in the state's version of volume I or volume II of the UBC since this is only a small part of the total of the building code.
This is all on line and not that hard to find if you get to the state's web site.  The only law that I know of that you can not get on line is the UBC since that is copyrighted by ICBO.  (But that is another discussion.)
Did the County of Riverside adopt a building code back in 1940?  They may not have.  (Texas just did a year or two ago.)  Only if there was an ordnance back then requiring a permit for a home could the work be deemed illegal.
Good luck,

[George Richards P.E.] 
 -----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 8:36 PM
To: Seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Residential URM

It is my understanding that the California Building Code exempts single family unreinforced masonry structures from the California Seismic Hazard Mitigation requirements for both identification and retrofit in areas where an ordinance has been established for URM buildings. Can anyone point me to the provisions in the code or state URM requirements that I may quote in letter to Riverside County. While they are requiring my client, who started to renovate his home without filing for permits, to provide as-built drawings addressing all work that he has done, I wish to deal with the URM issue up front. There are some minor structural issues but the home is a single family dwelling, one story that was constructed in the 1940's and added on to in the 1950's.
I have not been able to find the specific section of code in the UCBC that exempts single family dwellings.
Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer
Structural Engineering Consultant.