Re: Greasing headed anchor rods (is it necessary?)

Cliff,

I normally call out for a debonder when my anchor bolts start getting over 2 feet embedment.  At 4 feet I would definitely recommend it in order for your construction details to match your design assumptions.  You may want to talk to your construction people, if available, to see if they recommend something other than grease.  Trying to grease a 4 foot long bolt either before or after installation can cause a real mess with more grease getting on your rebar than anchor bolts.  On one job the field recommended using Teflon tape which seemed to work out OK (i.e. I didn't hear any complaints).

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Clifford Schwinger <clifford234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

04/14/2003 08:18 AM
Please respond to seaint