Re: Greasing headed anchor rods (is it necessary?)

Cliff,

        I have never seen anchor bolts greased nor have I ever heard of
anyone else greasing them.

        What I have both seen and done many times is the use of sleeves
for anchor bolts.  This may serve the same purpose but it also allows
some lateral movement of the bolts as an aid in correcting misplacement.

        There is a commercially available product called "Wilson
Sleeves" which I have both seen and used.  As well I have both seen and
used fabricated pipe sleeves.

        On one occasion I saw a 200' tall stack 12' in diameter with 32
anchor bolts on  a 12'-6" bolt circle.  Unfortunately a mistake was made
and the bolts were installed on a 12'-0" bolt circle!!  Thankfully,
Wilson sleeves had been used, therefore, it was possible to bend the
bolts and enlarge the bolt holes in the stack base plates sufficiently
to overcome the problem without having to revise or reconstruct either
the stack or the foundation.

        Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson