Embedded Single Cantilever Steel Column

Can someone send me a design example for single cantilever steel column to be used in lieu of shear panels in a small addition (120 sq ft) to a residential building that meets UBC 1997, or point me to a reference. I am concerned about the depth of embedment required, and what load to be used at the top of the column that is " rational and in accordance with established principles of mechanics".

TIA

jim k