Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Residential URM

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Over the years, I have retrofitted and upgraded several residential URMs. Although exempt from SB547 and Divission 88, nothing would prevent you from using
that code, along with other code chapters, as you deem appropriate.
Steven A.
Los Angeles

Dennis Wish wrote:

 It is my understanding that the California Building Code exempts single family unreinforced masonry structures from the California Seismic Hazard Mitigation requirements for both identification and retrofit in areas where an ordinance has been established for URM buildings. Can anyone point me to the provisions in the code or state URM requirements that I may quote in letter to Riverside County. While they are requiring my client, who started to renovate his home without filing for permits, to provide as-built drawings addressing all work that he has done, I wish to deal with the URM issue up front. There are some minor structural issues but the home is a single family dwelling, one story that was constructed in the 1940's and added on to in the 1950's. I have not been able to find the specific section of code in the UCBC that exempts single family dwellings.TIA.Dennis S. Wish, PECalifornia Professional EngineerStructural Engineering Consultant.