Re: Embedded Single Cantilever Steel Column

Many times I have used W8 columns with 12" -15" wide x 18" -21" grade
beams to carry lateral loads of 3-4 kips. The drift limitation of .005
governs. The columns extend through the grade beam and sit on
conventional footings which may be approx. 18" sq.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA