From: ceeseven [mailto:ceeseven(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 12:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Progressive Collapse

Hello,

In Schueller's "The Vertical Building Structure," he mentions, "Should a
large panel structure be designed to avoid a progressive collapse, then the
building must withstand an internal blast pressure of 5 psi."  This is a
blast pressure of 720 psf!  Does any one have any other suggestions on this
topic?  Is this excessively large?  Say, for example in a bulding that has
an Importance factor of 1.15, should this 720 psf be included in the applied
loads for added redundancy?

Thanks,

Alex Candelaria
Senior CE Student, Cal Poly Pomona