Re: SEI/ASCE 7-02 Wind Loads

James,

It depends on what your masonry "framing element" is.  Let's take the
example of a one story structure with no windows or opennings in the
masonry wall.  Assuming the wall spans vertically.  The effective area, in
my understanding, would be the vertical span times the width of the entire
wall (width being between corners or openings).

If we take an example of a line of "punched" windows in the wall, where
horizontally between the windows the wall spans vertically with the small
pieces of masonry vertically between the windows spanning horizontally.
Then you would use an area of width of the wall times the wall height
(span) to determine the wind load for the masonry that spans vertically
(since the vertical spans still carry the load from the horizontal spans
and the windows as reactions from the horizontal masonry and the windows).
And for the horizontal masonry, teh area would be the width of the window
times the vertical distance from center of window to the center of the
next window (the horizontal span still carries the wind load from the
window, unless the windows are designed to "span" horizontally).

The end result is that you need to look at what you are considering as
your masonry structural element and what portion of the wind that element
is carrying as a tributary load.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI