RE: Addition of 1'-9" retaining wall...

Larry,

I am not competely sure what your situation is...

But...

Where ever you are going to have the 11-6 retaining wall, the reinforcing
below the 9-9 mark needs to be sized for a 11-6 height even if the wall
will originally be built only to 9-9.  In otherwords, if you design a 9-9
retaining wall as a 9-9 retaining wall, then later want to make it a 11-6
retaining wall, it will not have sufficient reinforcement to resist the
load in the lower 9-9 of the wall.

Similarly, if you are going to add a top slab that will restrain the top
of the retaining wall, then at some point in the future the wall will go
from having  the largest (negative) moment at the base to a large
(positve) moment at the mid-height.  Thus, you would need to make sure
that the reinforcement that is in the wall will satisfy both loading
conditions (i.e. large negative moment at the bottom and a large positive
moment at the mid-height).

Assuming that the wall is designed to take the loads in the particular
situation, then you could use either couplers or expoy dowels to add
height to the wall.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI