Re: seaint Digest for 16 Apr 2003

Andrew,

I can't speak to the Florida Building Code, but I am pretty sure of the intent of the IBC.  The 2/3 of dead load you
refer to in section 1609.1.3 only applies if you are using the alternate basic load combinations of section 1605.3.2
which will require the wind load to be factored by 1.3.  I believe this results in net F.S. of 1.95.  Using the basic
load combinations of 1605.3.1, the load factor on dead load is indeed 0.6 resulting in a F.S. of 1.67.  Note that
whichever load combinations you use, you must use the "minimum dead load likely to be in place during a design wind
event."  I think this takes care of the "fudge" in the dead loads that Scott Maxwell refered to.

The Standard Buildning Code previously required the 1.5 F.S. with no load factor on the dead load.  So the IBC, results
in larger total F.S.  In short, you do not have to design for a 1.5 F.S. in addition to reducing the dead loads by 2/3 or
0.6 depending on the load combinations you are using.

Adam Vakiener, P.E.
Southern A&E, LLC
Austell, GA