bar joists

Title: Message
What is the standard practice for bar joist bearings on steel beam?  I've seen it done with just the minimum joist bearing length specified by the Steel Joist Institute, and with the joist shoe detailed to cross the beam web by 2".  I do understand that the first method causes transverse bending of the beam flange, but for short span joists that usually isn't a problem.  I have seen even short span joists detailed to cross the beam web.

What's everbody doing out there?

Duane Siegfried, P.E., S.E.