CMU connection/ welding rebar

I am looking at a very common CMU uplift connection, a steel bearing plate
that supports a wood or steel beam, at the top of a wall or column which has
a high uplift. I am trying to develop some alternative details. We have been
using lots of epoxy bolts, but based on recently produced tables by the
manufacturer, I am finding that they can be somewhat impractical because of
edge distance and spacing requirements.

Alternatively, I would like to use the vertical reinforcment already in the
cells to develop a much larger tension that carries the tension down to the
foundation. I have done a lot of research on the Archives, and basically
welding rebar should be avoided, but if you do, use A706.

Welding A706 bars to a plate- use a fillet weld? Strength of weld is the
circumference of the bar= length of weld  X standard fillet weld strength?
Use E80 electrodes because of A706?

One of the archives mentioned a similar connection, and he ended up going
with threaded rebar in a thru bolt connection. Is this standard rebar, like
Grade 40 or 60 with threads? Do the threads develop the full tensile
strength of the bars? Any problems with availability? Then I just specify a
lap with my main vertical reinforcment capable of developing my load or
better the full yield stress of the bar?

Last alternative- deformed anchor rods, welded to the plate or through
bolted. These are normally A36/A307 type bolts? Any problems with welding?
Fillet welds like mentioned above? Then can you calculate development length
in concrete/grout using standard formulas for deformed bars?

Any answers to any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.
PLEASE CC me directly as I am signed up for the one list email a day.

I know Harold Sprague answered a lot of the archives on this subject, so I
would like to hear from him especially.

So is the AWS D1.4 something all SEs should own?? We only have AWS D1.0, so
does the former only cover welding rebar?

Andrew D. Kester, EI
Structural Engineer
Bentley Architects & Engineers
665 W. Warren Ave.