RE: Welding plate stiffener

>A structural detailer said the it is not possible to weld a 1/4" thick
>beam plate stiffener using 1/4" weld.  He said that even it is specified,
>the fabricators can not do it.  Is this a correct statement?  I like to
>know because a lot of engineers I know specify the same thing.  I
>know that in lap joint, it is hard to weld a 1/4" thk plate by using 1/4"
>weld because the edge of plate is rounded so the actual weld size is
>1/16" less than the thickness of the plate.  But in my case, you have
>the stiffener plate against the web and flange of the W shape beam so
>I have the room to place the welding.

In a lap joint, the weld size for 1/4-in and thicker plate is limited to 1/16 in. less than the thickness per AISC LRFD Specification Section J2.2b. This limitation is specified because welding the full dimension melts the corner of the plate and creates a risk of having an actual throat less than the apparent throat.

In a tee joint, this concern does not exist and the limitation does not apply.

Charlie