RE: Welding plate stiffener

>I wrote:
>This limitation is specified because welding the
>full dimension melts the corner of the plate and
>creates a risk of having an actual throat less
>than the apparent throat.

>Chris then asked:
>Isn't this made up for by penetration into the
>root of the weld? That assumes full fusion, but
>proper weld technique assures that. And if you're
>putting enough heat to the weld to melt out the
>weld scarves and remove the corners, you'll sure
>get full fusion.

I don't think so. In the lap-joint configuration with t>=1/4, the corner
will usually melt down into the pool as you are penetrating into the root.
Visually, the face of the weld looks as though the weld size is larger by
the amount of corner melt -- normally about 1/16. The actual throat created
with the penetration, however, is less than one would expect judging from
the face with the melted corner.

Since that is hard to write clearly in words, there is a picture in the AISC
Specification Commentary Section J2.2b that illustrates this. It is Figure
C-J2.1 on page 16.1-233 in the LRFD Specification.

Charlie