Re: load factors

> From: "Chris Banbury" <cbanbury(--nospam--at)nicholson-engineering.com>

> If you multiply the resisting moment by a safety factor of 1.5 then this =
> is the same thing as multiplying the overturning moment by 0.6.

> In the case of a metal building, these reductions/safety factors should =
> already be reflected in the metal building manufacturers reaction =
> summary.

... MAY already be reflected in the metal building manufacturers
reaction summary. Each manufacturer presents their reactions
differently.

If the manufacturer provides combination values, they may or may not
consider DL reductions for uplift. it will depend on how the engineer
set up the loads/load combinations during design.

If it is not obvious what is included/excluded, ask the manufacturer.
The foundation designer is responsible for the actual loads that are
used for foundation design, not the metal building manufacturer.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International