RE: Concrete Swimming Pool

Gary,

It has been my experience that free-form residential pools tend to defy
rational analysis.  It appears that the pool performs more as a shell
structure than a flexural structure with the rim acting as a
compression/tension element, depending on its horizontal curvature and
whether there is or isn't water in the pool.

The dimensions and reinforcing that you stated would probably shock pool
contractors as I can't recall seeing any residential pools that have more
than 3 - 4 inches of gunite and don't use reinforcing larger than #4's.

For a child's pool, I would be very hesitant to make the deep end 5-feet, and
wouldn't have the bottom make a sharp transition.  If the municipality
insists on these dimensions, I would make sure that they also have my
opposition in writing.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Gary Hodgson wrote:

. > I would appreciate any comments or criticisms which you
. > can offer.  I come from a steel background but over the
. > years have learned a bit about concrete.  I
. > undertook to design a children's swimming pool for a
. > municipality.  It is 50'long x 25' wide x 3' deep at
. > shallow end and 5' deep at deep end.  My concrete
. > experience has never included a liquid retaining
. > structure.  My primary design covered the the effects
. > of soil pressure and uplift-my walls are 10" and the
. > base slab is 10.5".  I then called for epoxy-coated 20M
. > bars(sorry-#6) at 6" on centre in all the water
. > surfaces for crack control with 2" cover.  The concrete
. > is regular 3500 psi and rebar is 60 ksi.  i would
. > appreciate your coments.

. > gary hodgson @ghodgson.vaxxine.com