Re:Historical Chinese Tower w/rocking base

Thank you Kent JJ Hou .Great information! I will study the report!

A 1300 year old high rise building (pagoda) of bricks with out mortar, in a
seismically active area! From the figure, it appears the best description of
the Little Goose Pagoda foundation is that it creates a bowl shaped soil
failure-plane to allow a protective rocking motion! They must have excavated
a bowl shape hole and bricked it in for the foundation.

I will post the file and announce it on SEAINT

The following is the report on the Little Goose Pagoda.
http://home.winfirst.com/mrkgp/public_html/SE/littelgoose.zip

Who wants a rough translation of report?
send request "send translation" to mrkgp(--nospam--at)winfirst.com

Hey Nels Roselund! Maybe you could apply the Housner's method on mathcad. Or
you could send it to me to use.

David Merrick, SE
Sacramento, California

>Response has been to the following email from, Kent JJ Hou

>A paper about the aseismic capability of the Little goose pagoda was
published on Journal of Xi'an University of Architecture & Technology. Here
I enclose the abstract for your reference.

An exploration of the aseismic behavior of Xi'an Xiaoyan Pagoda

Chen Ping?Zhao Dong?Yao Qianfeng
(Dept.of Cons.Eng.,Xi'an Univ.of Arch.&Tech.,Xi'an 710055)

Abstract?In the light of the structural features of Xiaoyan Pagoda in
Xi'an,this paper has devoted a study on the aseismic mechanism of the
ancient pagoda built of bricks and stones as well as the dynamic properties
of the pagodas based on the modern aseismic theory.Analysis and evaluation
on the aseismic behavior of Xi'an Xiaoyan Pagoda are put forward in its
favor.
Key words?Xiaoyan Pagoda;ancient pagodas; anti-seismic

Kent JJ Hou

MIStructE