RE: Type K cement

I used Type K a couple of years ago for closure strips on some long walls and slabs in a rectangular tank structure. The structure was around 300 feet long and partially prestressed. I wanted to use something that would expand a little bit and help compensate for the shrinkage in the rest of the wall. The wall was 30 inches thick and the width of the closure strips was about 5 feet. It worked fine, but it cost more and I recall there were some issues with the ready-mix plants figuring out where to get the cement. My experience with the batch plant operators is that it is difficult to deviate from whatever they are accustomed to providing, due to the limitations of storage bins, aggregate stockpiles, etc.
-----Original Message-----
From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 3:40 PM
To: Seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Type K cement

Does anyone have experience with Type K cement?

As I understand it, it is currently available only from CTS and they only make it in Atlanta, Philadelphia and El Paso.

I have heard (don't know if it is true) that it is difficult to work with,  somewhat similar to the problems you have with silica fume concrete and that you can end up with some serious cracking if you are not careful.  Also, that it is pretty expensive.

I would be interested in hearing where it has been used and how it turned out.

Thanks, Gail Kelley