From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 12:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Modeling of Grade Beam??

Robert, Charlie, et. al.;

Yes, I have Enercalc, but that's not the point.

I would like to know what the standard practice is with regards to using
the effective properties of a grade beam in a computer model without
turning it into a doctorial thesis.

Is it 0.5*EIg ? 0.35*EIg ? Depends on f`c ? A formula based on Icr and
Ig? Or?

Maybe I should state the problem in another way. If you were going to
model a single bay, single story steel moment frame with the fixity at
the base provided by an interconnecting grade beam of known proportions
and reinforcement, what prismatic properties would you use to model the
effective stiffness of the grade beam relative to the gross, uncracked
section?

References (to distinguish from pure opinion - which is O.K., too), if
available, would also be appreciated.

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA