Concrete disintegration

Yesterday I told my kids I crushed concrete with my bare hands. It was less funny for the homeowners though. I was called out to look at some homes where the basement walls and foundations were spalling, slumping, and just plain crumbling away. The homes are many miles away from each other with the concrete supplier being the common factor. Test cylinders from the same batch were recently tested with about 1/4 of the strength they had before. We're going to take core samples, do a chemical analysis, and replace the foundation, but I'm curious as to what you think the supplier put into his concrete to have such devastating results a few months later? (Seems salt instead of sand might do the trick...) Does anyone have any reference materials they can aim me at?
Thanks,
Mike Livingston, SE, CE, P.Eng
mwlivingston(--nospam--at)hotmail.com