RE: Concrete disintegration

I have often wondered about using aluminum faced forms or pipes for pumping. Won't a small amount of aluminum powder dramatically affect the concrete strength over time? I would think that the abrasiveness of the concrete could cause small amounts of aluminum to be eroded and enter the concrete mix. Is this a concern?

Jim K.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Livingston [mailto:mwlivingston(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete disintegration

Yesterday I told my kids I crushed concrete with my bare hands.  It was less
funny for the homeowners though.  I was called out to look at some homes
where the basement walls and foundations were spalling, slumping, and just
plain crumbling away.  The homes are many miles away from each other with
the concrete supplier being the common factor.  Test cylinders from the same
batch were recently tested with about 1/4 of the strength they had before.
We're going to take core samples, do a chemical analysis, and replace the
foundation, but I'm curious as to what you think the supplier put into his
concrete to have such devastating results a few months later?  (Seems salt
instead of sand might do the trick...)  Does anyone have any reference
materials they can aim me at?
Thanks,
Mike Livingston, SE, CE, P.Eng
mwlivingston(--nospam--at)hotmail.com