Concrete disintegration

Mike,

Please post what you find out as I'm sure that everyone would like to know.

In the meantime, I'll throw out a couple of things for you to consider:

Do the trucks have aluminum drums, fins or chutes?  If the concrete was
pumped, did the pump line have an aluminum liner or was aluminum?  Aluminum
and concrete do not get along well at all.

Sugar will prevent concrete from setting up, but that would have prevented
the test cylinders to set up also.  (Not a delayed reaction that I am aware
of.)

Were any admixtures used and were they used in the proper amount?  I think
that there was a recent article in ENR where about 10 times the recommended
amount of an admixture was added to concrete and caused problems.

HTH

Good Luck!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Mike Livingston wrote:

. > Yesterday I told my kids I crushed concrete with my bare hands.  It was
. > less funny for the homeowners though.  I was called out to look at some
. > homes where the basement walls and foundations were spalling, slumping,
. > and just plain crumbling away.  The homes are many miles away from each
. > other with the concrete supplier being the common factor.  Test cylinders
. > from the same batch were recently tested with about 1/4 of the strength
. > they had before. We're going to take core samples, do a chemical
. > analysis, and replace the foundation, but I'm curious as to what you
. > think the supplier put into his concrete to have such devastating results
. > a few months later?  (Seems salt instead of sand might do the trick...)
. > Does anyone have any reference materials they can aim me at?

. > Thanks,

. > Mike Livingston, SE, CE, P.Eng