Re: Concrete disintegration

One possibility is that the supplier got the fly ash and cement mixed up
as they did on a job I recently investigated in Los Angeles. They had
about 80% fly ash and 20% cement instead of the other way around. It
turned out that the fly ash delivery was placed in the wrong silo at the
ready mix plant in the middle of the night. Several other jobs which used
concrete from this plant on the same day all had bad concrete.

Another possibility is something wrong with the water. I had this problem
several years ago. If the water had organics in it the problems you
described could occur.

Is it possible that the concrete could have been frozen?

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA