RE: Modeling of Grade Beam??

Roger-

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Another way I would model this element would be to break it into three
sections. The model is essentially a simply supported beam with a moment
cranked in at each end. The moment distribution is Mu at the ends and 0
at midspan. At the end sections, I would model it as EIcr. The middle
section I would model it as EIg. The point where the section changes
from Icr to Ig depends on the ratio between phi*Mn and Mcr.

I'm not sure (well, I'm pretty sure) that the structures I work with
don't require such modeling, so the 0.35EIg is good enough.

Thanks again,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA