RE: Steel naming conventions

pounds/foot

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Shilstone [mailto:j.s(--nospam--at)shilstone.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 5:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel naming conventions

Would someone please explain to me the steel naming conventions for beams?
I have a steel H-beam that has a designation W12x96. I assume the 12 is the
height of the beam, but I can't make any of the other dimensions or
combinations thereof come out to 96. What does the 96 mean?

Thanks,
Jay Shilstone