Re: Steel naming conventions

I don't think this is an H-beam, or S-beam.  This is a wided-flange beam and 96 is the weight lbs per linner foot.

Jay Shilstone <j.s(--nospam--at)shilstone.com> wrote:
Would someone please explain to me the steel naming conventions for beams?
I have a steel H-beam that has a designation W12x96. I assume the 12 is the
height of the beam, but I can't make any of the other dimensions or
combinations thereof come out to 96. What does the 96 mean?

Thanks,
Jay Shilstone

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org