Re: Historic Wood Structure; How to Determin

Robert,

In the past I have sent samples of wood off to be analyzed.  You only
need a very small sample.  I believe it was to the Forest Product Lab.
I'm not sure about that.  I haven't done it in several years and the
files for the projects I did do it for are at another engineering
business.  I recall that the FPL would do up to 5 samples a year free of
charge.  They just give you the species of wood, not the allowable
stresses, etc.  You have to come up with those based on your engineering
judgement.  You have to wait on them though, it is not a speedy process.
I would say that you also need to use your judgement about the damage to
the wood verses reduction in stress.  Hey, that's why your getting the
big bucks!  I recall a book by ASCE written at least 20 years ago about
restoring old wood structures.  You may look for a copy of it.  Again, it
is at the former engineering firm so I don't know the exact title.  Is
your project big enough to warrant calling in a professional grader to
give you guidance on the grading of the wood in place?

Rich

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:53:05 -0400 "Robert Rogers" <RRogers(--nospam--at)lorwil.com>
writes:

> Did I mention the building was constructed around 1918 ?....would
> you
> still use the same approach ?
>
> Additionally, how would you take into account possible weathering /
> exposure damage ?
>
> Robert

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!