From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 1:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Questions are too long

I would disagree to some degree...while some get a little verbose for
other reasons (I won't name names...Dennis...<grin>), some get verbose
because it is required.  Many engineerng problems don't happen to wrap
themselves in nice short, simple descriptions and neither do many
solutions to those problems.

As such, I don't feel it is realistic or appropriate to ask those who are
either describing a problem that they want help with or describing a
solution to a problem to be "short" in nature when that will not
adequately describe the problem or solution.

While a phone call is certainly a possibility, it is not really a
realistic possibility as it defeats the purpose of this list in my
mind...a place when an individual can get assistance at no cost
(phone calls cost money) on an issue that the many not be as familiar with
while also having that information being available to others for their
potential benefit and use (phone calls and private emails would deprive
others who did not ask the question of a possible learning experience).

I hate to be harsh, but time is always an issue.  Do you expect the author
of an article to personally call you to give you the highlights of their
article in the structural engineering related magazine that you already
receive just so that you can get the important new structural engineering
technique even though you don't have the time to read the article?
Unfortunately, learning takes time, which means that you have to determine
how important learning new things is to you and decide if spending that
time (whether reading various magazines, attending technical meetings or
seminars, participating on this list, etc) is worth it to you.

Verbose mode off...

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI