Re: Structure's life expectancy

Desi,

        I think the answer to your question lies in the fields of
economics or business rather than engineering.  Where buildings (or non
building structures for that matter) are designed and maintained so as
to avoid or remedy exposure to rot, corrosion, pestilence, etc., they
can last until they are no longer required.

        I once designed a nice reinforced concrete and masonry building
for a ski resort that should outlasted me; but it was later demolished
to make way for the 1988 Winter Olympic Games.

        There was another building in the news lately here in Calgary
because it was being scheduled for demolition.  It seems this building
was first built as a temporary storage shed 100 years ago.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson