Re: Seismic loads in south Florida

Warren,

According to 2000 IBC (which I assume is same or similar to 2001
FBC) for Miami, Ss < 0.15 and S1 < 0.04, therefore according to
1614.1, you need only comply with 1616.4 "Design Requirements
for Seismic Design Category A".  This sections specifies a very
simplified seismic analysis and some minor detailing
requirements.  Wind should almost definitely control.

Tripp Howard

--- "Foy, Warren" <Warren.Foy(--nospam--at)mhgrp.com> wrote:
> I am working on a project located in Miami, FL, obvious
> hurricane territory with 150 mph design wind speeds.
> Understanding that wind loads will control lateral force
> design, it seems that Chapter 16 of the 2001 Florida Building
> Code gives no consideration of seismic design.  Can any of you
> Florida engineers confirm that seismic loads are not
> considered in Miami?
>
> Additionally, the programming documentation for this facility
> indicates that a portion of the building is to have a roofing
> system of Modified bitumen roofing on insulation on 1 1/2"
> metal deck.  The information that we have been able to find on
> approved roofing systems to meet the Florida Building Code
> seems to require that modified bitumen roofing be fully
> adhered to a concrete substrate.  Can anyone confirm that
> roofing on a metal deck will not meet the intent of the
> Florida Building Code?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies.
>

> Warren S. Foy, P.E.
> Structural Design Manager