Re: Structure's life expectancy

UBC targets a seismic design for an earthquake with a 2,500 year return
period.

Historical and Unreinforced Masonry Buildings are designed for a target
seismic event of less than 500 years.

The 13 story unreinforced clay brick Little Wild Goose Pagoda in Xian China
sits on a bowl-shaped wood-crib foundation. It is about 1300 years old.

Wood without insulation requirements can last over 500 years.

Wood with insulation may not last 100 years.

Unpainted reinforced concrete with uncoated reinforcement may not last over
100 years.

Bridge decks last 30 to 50 years.

Tax depreciation for a commercial building is 50 years.

Architectural attempts of future modern may not last 30 years.

Coffee in a styrofoam cup, on my desk, may start growing in 48 hours,
evaporate in a couple of weeks, but I could probably add hot water to the
cup for another 2,500 years, if it is not exposed to UV rays, and it is not
identified as a toxin when exposed to a fire. I need a velcro base for the
big one.

This email is for discussion only.

David Merrick, SE