Seismic in FL

I am not saying it is 100% correct, but:

-There is no mention of seismic design in the Florida Building Code 2000.
-It is not offered even as a load combination in Chapter 16
-I have never heard of any engineers designing for Seismic in FL

Now, I know very little about seismic and what the IBC numbers mean, but in
comparison to other seismically active zones they seem insignificant. I
guess even the most minor seismic load, if you think of an indoor industrial
application with extremely heavy equipment loads I suppose it could be a
factor... Just something we have never come across.

Funny FBC tidbit:

Section 1606 - Snow Loads
All buildings and structures are exempt from snow load provisions.

Next section...

Andrew D. Kester, EI
Structural Engineer
Bentley Architects & Engineers