Re: Structure's life expectancy

I believe most the criteria set forth in ASCE 7-XX are based on an annual probability of 2%. So buildings are designed for a 50 year event, in general. I have been involved on the design of a university building in which the client specifically requested an increased criteria for snow loading, and we used the tables in the back of the ASCE 7 to extrapolate for a 100 year event.

In comparison, the design of road ditched & culverts (in Virginia) for flooding need only be deigned for a 10 year event (10% annual probablility of being exceeded). So your house may survive the storm, but you might not be able to drive there!