Re: Seismic load combinations and ASME Section VIII pressure ve

>Remember the pressure vessel people are concerned about containment, and
>they have very different objectives than the life safety objective of the
>UBC.
Sounds like Rick was never around when a pressure vessel blew up... It
changes your whole outlook on the ASME Code.

>It seems to me that because of the distribution of stresses in the
>pressure vessel that allowable stress should not be increased if the
>seismic reduction 1.4 is applied.
Don't mix Codes and don't imagine that the design margins mean the same
thing for pressure vessels and buildings. Any ASME Code stamped pressure
vessel has to meet the ASME Code first. That means you need to meet all
the applicable provisions for the pressure loading alone before anything
else. If you have additional loading besides pressure you may need to
increase the thickness to address these loadings according to UG-22
subject to an upper limit for calculated stress address these using the
provisions of UG-23. If those provisions don't satisfy a building
official (I've never had such a thing happen) you may have to address
that separately yet again. But don't fiddle with pressure vessel code
allowables if you want the vessel to be stamped.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw