Shading Concrete in CAD Detail

I would like to ask about what your office standard practice is to shade
or hatch concrete in a section or detail.

About 15 years ago, when drafting was done manually, the draftsmen at the
company I worked for used a sticky-back type shading material to shade
new concrete that was cut through in a section.  This was applied to the
back side of the mylar at the detail.  This emphasized the area of
concrete that was sliced in section verses what was beyond the slice and
not cut.  As CAD work progressed they started using solids and then solid
hatching to shade the section so it plotted out and when printed it would
have a shaded down fill.  With pen styles in AutoCAD 2000 this helped
immensely and very good details with shaded concrete could be produced
and printed.

Now, most printers are using photocopy technology instead of the
blue-line paper from the ammonia process.  It comes out black and looks
nice, EXCEPT, what shaded nice in a blueprint now looks terrible as a
photocopy.  What are you doing, if anything, to hatch your details.  I
prefer not to use the concrete hatch symbol if possible.  My tradition
has been to shade new concrete and use the standard hatch symbol for
existing concrete.

Some of you may not know what I am talking about and need to ask your
draftsman.

Thanks.

Rich

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!