AISC hole edge distance

List,
I would like to find out what limits the edge distance on holes in steel called by AISC section J.3.9. I have a miss fabricated field condition where a 15/16" dia hole with a 3/4" dia bolt has been placed in the leg of a L 3 x 3 x 1/4 angle that is only 2" long. Loads are in the 2" direction and are shear only. ASD level stress checks for bearing and shear in angle are at less than 50%. Agency approval reads AISC J.3.9 requirement pretty literal. Need more ammo.
TIA

Robert Mantor Hanson, SE
Bellflower, CA.